- Associate Professor, Associate Scientist
- International & Interdisciplinary Studies
- Environmental Studies Program
- Kansas Biological Survey
Higuchi Hall, room #41C
University of Kansas
2101 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045
- Quantitative ecology
- global change ecology
Selected Publications —
1. Kritee K, Nair D, Zavala-Araiza D, Proville J, Rudek J, Adhya TK, Loecke TD. High nitrous oxide fluxes from rice indicate the need to manage water for both long-and short-term climate impacts . PNAS. 2018;115:9720–9725. doi:10.1073/pnas.1809276115
1. McMillan S, Loecke TD. Before the storm: antecedent conditions as regulators of hydrologic and biogeochemical response to extreme climate events . Biogeochemistry. 2018 Jul 16. doi:10.1007/s10533-018-0482-6
1. Franz TE, Loecke TD, Burgin AJ, Zhou Y, Le T, Moscicki D. Spatiotemporal predictions of soil properties and states in variably saturated landscapes. Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences. 2017 May 19. doi:10.1002/2017JG003837
1. Loecke TD, Burgin AJ, Riveros-Iregui DA, Ward AS, Davis CA, Thomas SA, St. Clair M. Weather whiplash in agricultural landscapes creates unforeseen implications for water quality. Biogeochemistry. 2017 Mar 10. doi:10.1007/s10533-017-0315-z
1. Wijewardane NK, Ge Y, Wills S, Loecke T. Prediction of Soil Carbon in the Conterminous United States: Visible and Near Infrared Reflectance Spectroscopy Analysis of the Rapid Carbon Assessment Project. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 2016 Jul 4. doi:10.2136/sssaj2016.02.0052
1. Reynolds KN, Loecke TD, Burgin AJ, Davis CA, Riveros-Iregui D, Thomas SA, St. Clair MA, Ward AS. Optimizing Sampling Strategies for Riverine Nitrate Using High-Frequency Data in Agricultural Watersheds. Environmental Science and Technology. 2016;50:6406–6414. doi:10.1021/acs.est.5b05423
1. Jarecke KM, Loecke TD, Burgin AJ. Abioitic and biotic controls on soil oxygen at the aquatic terrestrial interface. Soil Biology and Biochemistry. 2016;95:164–172. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2015.12.018. doi:10.1016/j.soilbio.2015.12.018
1. Tiwari R, Kritee K, Adhya T, Loecke T, Rudek J, Nair D, Ahuja R, Baliredddygari S, Balakrishna S, Ram K, et al. Sampling guidelines and analytical optimization for direct greenhouse gas emissions from tropical rice and upland cropping systems. Carbon Management. 2015 Jun 25. doi:10.1080/17583004.2015.1082233
Awards & Honors —
2016 Outstanding Review for Biogeochemistry Journal
Grants & Other Funded Activity —
Kansas Microbiomes across Aquatic, Plant and Soil Ecosystems. NSF EPSCoR, $20M collaborative proposal with 5 Kansas institutions. Role: Soil Area Leader for KU. Lead PI ΓÇô K. Bowman-James; Sharon Billings and Jim Bever Co-PIs. $20000000.00. Submitted 8/1/2016 (8/1/2017 - 8/31/2022). Federal. Status: Funded. I am the Soils area leader for KU. I will supervise two summer technicians and a Master's student (once EVRN program is established) with these funds. Additionally, I will be mentoring an REU in the summer of 2018 and working with Peggy Schultz to assist in training workshops for area teachers.
Farming for a Smaller Dead Zone: How agricultural conservation practices, artificial drainage, and climate change affect water quality in Iowa.. Smith Conservation Post-doctoral Fellowship. $197925.00. Submitted 1/1/2018. Foundation. Status: Funded. I worked with Bonnie and Dr. Burgin to hone the fellowship proposal in 2017. Bonnie's work will contribute to one of my research themes - connecting land management to water quality.